Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Goodbye My Dear Friend…


I have a confession (which this blog will be full of, in case you didn’t get that in the title). I rarely miss an episode of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. 
Dr Drew in "group" on Celebrity Rehab

I’m not sure if it’s the intrigue of seeing obscure celebrities at their worst or the medical rehab of a fellow human being…. Ok, I know. It’s seeing celebrities at their worst. It can be like watching a train wreck. I just can’t take my eyes off watching a former TV child star deal with their addiction to drugs or a reality star confess their issues with alcohol since they won their million on Survivor.

In this last season, upon “graduating” from rehab, Dr. Drew had each of the “celebrities” (and I use that word lightly because I had to Google several of them…I’d never HEARD of them) write a letter to their “addiction”. After reading it to the group, Dr. Drew had them go to a fire place and burn the letter. I began to wonder, what would my letter say to my “addiction”? That’s when I decided to write the following letter:

My dear friend,
I don’t remember our first meeting, but I do recall our last. I don’t remember how long we have known one another, but I do recall your presence at each birthday, my wedding, and even my children’s birthdays. You found your way to each holiday, every special event, even times when I was alone. You were there. I invited you to share in my ups and downs.

Now, dear friend, I must bid you farewell. I am not sure if it will be for a lifetime or just for a season. As I looked in the mirror today, I saw signs of you everywhere. You have made such an impression on me, becoming a part of me. But I am changing. And my first change will be to say goodbye. Oh, I still love you, but I must turn from you.

So farewell, dear sweet sugar. My tea will not be the same without but hopefully, my belly will not miss you. Find a new home. We may see one another again when I learn to love you in moderation. Until that time, I must say so long.


Goodbye dear chocolate...
So Father, it is only with Your strength can I accomplish this. I am weak but You are strong. Your Word says in Proverbs 16:3 "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." So I commit to You to cleanse Your temple of sweets. Help me to succeed to bring glory to You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment